So… there’s lots to cover so I thought the best thing to do would be to post the pictures and see what you come up with.
The first picture I used in class was this one:
As a number of you pointed out, it is Marcus looking up at (presumably) a CCTV camera. The questions you need to consider are:
- How successful is this image as a representation of the novel’s main theme(s)?
- What does the angle of the picture (looking down on Marcus) suggest about the relationship between Marcus and the ‘camera’ — and by extension, those who installed the camera?
Next picture was of this bridge:
It is, of course, the Bay Area Bridge in San Francisco:
Here’re a couple of questions to consider:
- Why might the Bay Area Bridge be a target?
- What impact would such an attack have? (NB: ignore the obvious financial impact!)
Next up was this:
With this picture, you should try the following:
- Can you identify any of the characters?
- Who are they, and what sort of people are they? (I mean individually as well as collectively)
- Why are they on the streets, and what aspect of their culture (or counter-culture) is illustrated?
- What impact does the explosion have on them individually and as a group?
That’s probably enough to keep you very busy for the time being. We’ll move on to constitutional and human rights next…
Be ready to share your thoughts on all of these on Thursday afternoon. Not doing this is not an option!